Zeus' Keen Mod

Anything related to Keen Modding.
Stealthy71088

Post by Stealthy71088 »

If the shockshunds work in other levels you're probably just running out of memory.

Perhaps you can delete an equivalent memory's usage of another sprite. Are there other sprites in the level that you can do without? delete a couple and leave the shockshunds in. See if that works.
Zeus

Post by Zeus »

Every level crashes in that moment, when a shockshund should appear...:(
troublesomekeen

Post by troublesomekeen »

I have the exact same problem in my Keen 4 mod. Whenever my Invincible, Dangerous Bounder (who is now the Mad Mushroom) comes in-screen, the game crashes in the same way, with those thin black&white lines across the screen. This is before I changed any of the levels, so it might not be a memory issue. By removing the Invincible patch, the game worked fine.
Zeus

Post by Zeus »

Mh, okay, but I changed no enemy of the original keen 5, so I don't get it why suddenly the game crashes. I tried to remember, what I changed in the last few days, but this was just graphic-changing, no patching or something like this.
Stealthy71088

Post by Stealthy71088 »

If you're at all worried about the patchfile possibly being the cause, you could just run the .exe directly, skipping the load patch part. If it still crashes the same way, then you know its not the patches.
Zeus

Post by Zeus »

Mysterious things happened.

I woke up. And tried it. And...it worked...i'm just confused...I changed nothing...and it works...have I just dreamed it?
Zeus

Post by Zeus »

Yeah, just finished all the text-work around the little new story.

Get ready, tomorrow is Keen Day and I will release Episode 15: Hello, Galaxy! - Beta :-)
Zeus

Post by Zeus »

Just a simple question due to its my first release...which files must be included to play?
Fleexy
Site Admin

Post by Fleexy »

For a Keen 5 mod...

AUDIO.CK5
AUDIODCT.CK5
AUDIOHED.CK5
[Your patch file]
[Your batch file]
KEEN5E.exe or KEEN5.EXE or KEEN5.COM
GAMEMAPS.CK5 or EDITMAPS.CK5
EGAGRAPH.CK5
EGAHEAD.CK5
[Your tileinfo file]*
MAPHEAD.CK5
CK5LOAD.BIN*
CK5PATCH.EXE

*Only applies if you use the patches associated.
Zeus

Post by Zeus »

viewtopic.php?t=1560

here we go :)
levellass

Post by levellass »

As a side note, the 'thin black lines' freeze-crash occurs when data is written to the players... uh.. memory stuff in the wrong place. I have found this often happens with sloppily patched sprites when something causes them to put their data stuff where it shouldn't be. This should never happen with unpatched sprites, but occasionally does when another sprite patch messes up a 'clean' sprite.

The only cure I have found is to make a level with just that sprite, remove all (Or as many as possible) patches and slowly add them back, looking for the one that causes the problem. The buggy patch can usually be fixed.