Keen 5: In-Level Teleporters

Request patches for Keens 4-6.
Gridlock

Keen 5: In-Level Teleporters

Post by Gridlock »

This isn't super important, but, in doing some Keen 5 experimentation, I came to the realization that in-level teleporters are basically just doors with the extra sprite spawning and sound behavior, yet there haven't been any Keen levels made that take advantage of this. There's just one problem: teleporters become problematic when reused. Each time you enter the teleporter, a new pair of the yellow energy teleporter sprites is spawned over the existing sprites, which not only looks bad but could eventually result in running out of sprite slots.

I'm wondering if there are any patch-related solutions. The wiki doesn't seem to mention anything about the actual behavior of the in-level teleporter. Ideally, the yellow energy sprites could be despawned as soon as Keen finishes entering the "door." Maybe they could also be destroyed after enough time. Or (less ideal), as a completely different design, maybe the tile marked as a door that the teleporter uses (I'm assuming that's hard coded as the in-level teleporter tile?) could be animated to a non door tile to at least prevent re-entry?

Are either of these solutions feasible and could be done quickly? This is for something small I'm hoping to have out on Keen Day, so if it's not feasible in a short amount of time then it's not worth worrying about.
szemigi

Re: Keen 5: In-Level Teleporters

Post by szemigi »

Well, to be honest, and sorry for mentioning her again, but Levellass seems to be "gone".
loop4ever

Post by loop4ever »

Yes, I hope she's doing good. There probably isn't anyone as nice as her, she tried helping everyone with their patches without being payed for it in anyway.

Now I wish there was someone else who could at least help with some of the patches. I'm a very new keen modder and am pretty new in the forums and I could really use help with the patching.
szemigi

Post by szemigi »

100% agreed with you.