Keen 1.34

Tools, assembly, and file formats.
gerstrong

Keen 1.34

Post by gerstrong »

I see, that CK EP1 version 1.34 uses pklite compression.

Does anyone know, how this compression works! I want to support this version in CloneKeenPlus...
levellass

Post by levellass »

Sadly I do not, I have tried to figure it out, and I suggest you ask Napalm. I have utilities to decompress it of course. (And thanks to this, a program to extract tile info from it.)
szevvy

Post by szevvy »

The exe? You can unpack it with unpklite. I've peeked into unpklite, and all it does it change the exe slightly, runs it to the point at which the exe is decompressed, and dumps it out to file.
gerstrong

Post by gerstrong »

So is that. It seems, that it is better to stick around with version 1.31.

I just was looking for the algorithm of unp, but it really isn't that important... I don't want to ship unpklite in ckp just for one version of one episode.

However if you can provide me more information about the algorithm, I would be very happy :-)
gerstrong

Post by gerstrong »

@sveevy:

Can you give me more details please. I still try to get the algorithm. It would be nice to get version 1.34 run.
levellass

Post by levellass »

You'd be better emailing him, he doesn't pop in here very often, so it's best to make direct contact. I too would be interested in the algorithm.
Napalm

Post by Napalm »

Hey levellass,
I cannot review it today. I will post details tommorow. All the details how to unpack a pklite compressed dos executable. I will also write some C code as an example.

Napalm
gerstrong

Post by gerstrong »

That would be very nice! I tried to decompile unpklite, but no luck. If you know the details and could tell us howto it would be very nice!
szemigi

Re: Keen 1.34

Post by szemigi »

I tried to unpack the EXE of this version, but had no luck either. I even tried KeenGraph to export the graphics, but it said that EGALATCH.CK1 and EGASPRIT.CK1 are LZW-compressed (after unpacking the EXE). It was decompressing and decompressing these two files and then nothing.

So in-short: fail.