No sound?

Utilities for editing Keen:Galaxy and Keen:Dreams levels.
Kdash

No sound?

Post by Kdash »

Is there any way to turn off the sound in TED?

My computer doesn't like my PC speaker. :-(
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

No. You're screwed.
ckguy

Post by ckguy »

You could probably rig something up with DOSBox, and disable the PC speaker emulation.
Kdash

Post by Kdash »

but dosbox runs slow, and it plays PC speaker throgh the regular speaker, which fixes my problem anyway.
grelphy

Post by grelphy »

On a completely unrelated topic (sorry, moderators), does anybody know how to disable CPU emulation? Right now, DOSBox makes my 400 MHz pentuim II (with the full x83 instruction set) perform more along the lines of a 4 MHz 286. Keen gets all stuttery and laggy when I grab a bunch of points.

On a more related topic, you could probably find a program somewhere to kill the PC speaker. (I personally never found it to be anything other than annoying.)
grafix

Post by grafix »

On a completely unrelated topic (sorry, moderators), does anybody know how to disable CPU emulation?
Um... the the whole point of DOSBox is being able to run x86 DOS apps on any platform. If you want good performance, get a faster CPU (DOSBox will run very badly on a 400MHz CPU) or get a dedicated DOS machine off eBay.
XkyRauh

hehe

Post by XkyRauh »

My 1.3ghz struggles with DOSBox if I run anything more demanding than a 286 game like Keen or Cosmo. Doesn't like TIM at all. :-(
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Unrelating things a bit further, Xky, how did you do that neat fuzzying thing which made the low resolution Keen games have more pixels?

As for the PC speaker, believe me, I've looked around and the PC speaker is one of the most basic fuctions on a computer. We're talking older than DOS here. PC speaker instructions are among the simplest and most hard to pervert around.
grafix

Post by grafix »

PC speaker instructions are among the simplest and most hard to pervert around.
I assume that's deliberate.
XkyRauh

hehe

Post by XkyRauh »

Sometimes you can disable the PC Speaker in a computer's BIOS. When you first turn your computer on, often it'll say something along the lines of "Press <Del> to enter Setup." ... go in there and see if there's a way to turn off your PC Speaker.

The "fuzzying" thing in DOSBox is one of the options for display. In your DOSBox.conf file, there's the following:

Code: Select all

[render]
# frameskip -- How many frames dosbox skips before drawing one.
# aspect -- Do aspect correction.
# scaler -- Scaler used to enlarge/enhance low resolution modes.
#           Supported are none,normal2x,advmame2x,advmame3x,advinterp2x,interp2x,tv2x.

frameskip=0
aspect=false
scaler=none
Just change the "scaler" value to be something like "advmame3x" or "interp2x." Be warned that it asks for a LOT more processing power (I use "none" and Keen runs fine, I use "advmame3x" and Keen runs at about 6 frames per second!) so experiment and figure out which works best for you.

And for the record, I'm not sure I've ever posted a screenshot with the super anti-aliasing turned on. I know CheesyDave did, and Andy did when he was pointing out my Vortikid replacements for XkyKeen3. :-)
Kdash

Post by Kdash »

Is it possible to edit the sorce to get rid of the sound?
CommanderSpleen

*experiments*

Post by CommanderSpleen »

Xky wrote:(I use "none" and Keen runs fine, I use "advmame3x" and Keen runs at about 6 frames per second!)
I just tested it today, and after some tweaking I got it working beautifully on my 1GHz (64Mb GeForce MX4000) using output=surface, scaler=advmame3x and cycles=4000. It's only when I set output=ddraw that it dies out.
XkyRauh

hehe

Post by XkyRauh »

That's your video card, Spleen... it's got much more muscle than my little 16mb piece of second-hand technology. :-)
CommanderSpleen

Waaay off topic now.

Post by CommanderSpleen »

Ah. 16Mb. That'll do it.
Kdash

Post by Kdash »

stop going off topic!!! >:-(