Modkeen bug

ModKeen mods Tiles and Sprites in all episodes of Commander Keen.
grelphy

Modkeen bug

Post by grelphy »

Here's a new one for y'all: I ran an import on Keen 2 (using Modkeen 1.0) and lo and behold---

Nothing.

Instead of beautiful modded graphics, I came up with complete, utter, complete blackness. No red, no green, no nothing. Just black.

I know this is a graphics problem because all of the interface elements still work, i.e. if you press enter (to skip the Apogee production screen), then escape (to quit) then y, the game exits. However, the interface really isn't that useful as you can't, uh, see it.

This is also a new problem, since I had previously modded the graphics, and they worked fine.

Also, AFAIK, I haven't bugged anything with Tileinfo, since Keen2.exe unpatched also stubbornly refuses to display anything useful.

Any ideas?
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

I've had this before; I just redid things and it worked fine for me. I dunno, maybe it just hates you.
grelphy

Post by grelphy »

Mmm, yeah, maybe. I've tried reimporting to no avail. Then I made a two-second backup and re-extracted the graphics.

Lo and behold, they're completely intact.

Actually, the version that Modkeen extracted was significantly out of date (more out of date than the last version i had played with), but otherwise completely intact.

Interesting.

I'll try making some changes to my tileset and see if that fixes anything.
grelphy

Post by grelphy »

Just so nobody's worried, I figured it out: the problem is actually with my new laptop not always displaying EGA graphics (and not just in Keen). I have no clue why, but thus goes life.

=P
XkyRauh

what?

Post by XkyRauh »

That sounds really unusual... Are graphics cards starting to phase out the old stuff? :-(
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Only the really old stuff nobody plays anymore; mostly DOS based. :(
The_Fosti

Post by The_Fosti »

I need help with mod keen.
I did Unlzexe, i exported the graphics, and then i imported them, runned ck4patch and the game doesn?t work. The console in windows closes instantly and in DOsBox there comes the loading screen and after that a mess of colours.
First i tried writing text in the start menu bmp with paint and importing it but it dindt work.
Then I tried it again without changing any of the graphics and the same problem.
What can I do?

I wanted to create a new topic but i get the error Debug mode....
I get it too if i post a reply but the reply is posted, the topic not...
XkyRauh

Post by XkyRauh »

Be sure you have the most recent version of ModKeen, for starters. Next, be sure you're not changing the size of any of the images. Can you give us any more information?

(I deleted the quadrouple-post... I think that's why your post count is insane right now)
The_Fosti

Post by The_Fosti »

I am using MODKEEN 2.0.1 i downloaded it from here: http://shadowm2006.sitesled.com/galaxymk.zip
I exported the graphics, then with paint I added text, I dindt change the size of any image and after importing and using ck4patch the game doesnt work. And also if I import unchanged images, after importing the game doenst work :(
What other information do you want?
levellass

Post by levellass »

What was the contents of your patchfile?

If they're wrong, the game will mess up.

Also, if you use the KDreams modkeen, it cannot properly produce the header for Keens 4,5 and 6, this will cause crashes.
Shadow Master

Post by Shadow Master »

Download that zip file again. I updated it with the right ModKeen a month ago.