Can't make maps

Utilities for editing Keen:Galaxy and Keen:Dreams levels.
levellass

Can't make maps

Post by levellass »

Again and again and again I get 'Invalid source offset'; my levels have been ruined five times, and fives times I've rebuilt them. My backups don't work, or my backup backups, nothing helps. So let me just say:

Fuck TED5; the most lousy, rotten, useless piece of shit to ever blacken the Keen community with is hackworked code and utterly pissed interface, I would dearly like to see it wiped from the face of the earth and never heard of again, the fucking, useless, shitty piece of malevolent crap.

That said, unless someone is able to find a way to predict and correct this, I am going to have to drop out of the mod competition. As it is, my levels will be utter shit.

I would like some actual helpful help with this, a patch, an explanation that actually makes sense, SOMETHING! or so help me I will quit Keen completely. (And I am not kidding.)
XkyRauh

Post by XkyRauh »

No need to get all dramatic about it--we've all had our (major and minor) setbacks with this program. :)

For starters, give us some information about HOW you're running TED5. How did you set it up, did you follow ShadowMaster's guide, and have you tried building maps on an unaltered version of Keen?

Remember that when you finish making a map, you not only need to do a File-->Save, but a File-->Carmackize Maps.

Where exactly does the "Invalid Source Offset" error come up, anyway? :(
levellass

Post by levellass »

I am running Ted5, as per ShadowMaster's instructions, through DosBox and a Windows XP Professional based system. I can't save maps, as soon as I try, after making any *tile* alteration, Ted5 crashes.
XkyRauh

Post by XkyRauh »

I hadn't really considered this before, but double-check to make sure that the TED5 stuff is in a folder/location with no spaces in the names. In the default XP setup, chances are you're working through a folder titled "Documents and Settings," and so on. Since TED5 is an older DOS program, it probably won't handle folder names with more than 8 letters in them...

For example, I've been working out of D:\oldgames\keenmods\xkykeen4\ for the longest time, and it's worked fine--it was just coincidence that all of those folder names are 8 letters or less. :)
Shadow Master

Post by Shadow Master »

Although, you know, you can always mount a long-names directory in DOSBox so that "D:\oldgames\LONG DIRECTORY NAME\yadayadadoo\the $$ directory" is represented in DOSBox just by the drive K:
XkyRauh

Post by XkyRauh »

I wasn't sure how that would affect things--but if that resolves the issue, all the better. :) I'm grasping at straws, because I want to help.