Mindbelt | The Keener's Editor (version 1.3)

Utilities for editing Keen:Vorticons levels.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Indeed, more's the pity.

I have developed a Dangerous Dave II and partial Shadow Knights graphics editor in the meantime, so if this does get revived, I ask for support for these games.
Fleexy
Site Admin

Bug....

Post by Fleexy »

After I save levels for my mod, when I play the level in-game, it shows random bits of the world map. The tile locations work as they are supossed to, but the graphics are ruined! Any ideas?

-Fleexy
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

This is normally not a problem of the level editor, but of any buggy patches you're using. Try deactivating patches with '#'. If that doesn't help try opening that level in another editor and save it again. also try importing your graphics in a fresh copy of keen, to see if there has been som modkeen related problem.
matonen

Post by matonen »

When the program asks for tile bitmaps, where can I find them?
Mink

Post by Mink »

You can download the tile bitmaps for all episodes from http://files.keenmodding.org/cktiles.zip or you can extract them yourself with ModKeen.
matonen

Post by matonen »

Thanks! It's workin' fine and dandy now. :)
levellass

Post by levellass »

There seems to be a definite lack of knowledge about Modkeen/KeenGraph, possibly we need a Vortmod pack, like the Galaymod pack for beginner modders?
Fleexy
Site Admin

Post by Fleexy »

I put together in a ZIP a Vorticons modding suite. It includes:

tileinfo.zip
mindbelt.zip
modkeen.exe
unlzexe.exe
ez-mkeen.exe
keengrout.exe
ck1patch.exe
ck2patch.exe
ck3patch.exe

Get it here.

Have fun!
Videogamer555

Post by Videogamer555 »

Why does a level editor need a graphic file of its own? If its editing the games levels it already has access to the games resource files. So why not have it use the games graphics that are ALREADY within the resource files?
Draik

Post by Draik »

Because it doesn't. The levels are stored in separate files, but the game's resources are compressed into their own files. To access them from there each time would take excessive amounts of work, and would significantly slow down startup times. This way, you only need to export them once, and no further hassle necessary.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Indeed TED1 and TED5 do this, and you can see it adds a whole 5 seconds to the startup time. It's possible to read straight from resources, but much easier to use graphics bitmaps, which people are going to create as a matter of course when modding anyway.
Benvolio

Re: Mindbelt | The Keener's Editor (version 1.3)

Post by Benvolio »

BUMP! I posted the following in PCKF just now and for completeness I'll post a copy here:

Mindbelt Weirdness

Today I returned to my Vorticons project only to find weirdness with Mindbelt. I use Windows 10.

When I double click the mindbelt.exe (which sits in the development folder of the mod and is an exact copy of what I was using a few months ago), it fails to open and the exe deletes itself! How odd. The problem recurred when pasting in another copy of the exe.

Nothing has changed with the exe so something has changes with my computer/OS. I really do very few updates on my PC other than the essential automatic updates. Can anyone fathom what is happening and what I can do about it?

I went to Keenwiki and tried to re-download Mindbelt and Chrome says "virus detected" and won't proceed.

Please help me so I can return to high output, low effort level editing as soon as possible!