'The Ruin of Roib'

Showcase your completed mod here!
levellass

'The Ruin of Roib'

Post by levellass »

Not mine, but you'll want to check this out: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ec0w1uk0tog0y ... %201.0.zip

Also its PCKF topic here: http://pckf.rigeltechnical.com/viewtopi ... 86&start=0
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

whoa this mod is AMAZING! i LOVE IT!!! whoever made it must be the greatest person ever!
stayfrosty82

Post by stayfrosty82 »

What everyone else has been saying Bernie: this mod is out of this world amazing!!! There's no point going on and on about how good this game is, just play it!!!

A couple of problems I came across: (hope it helps - it's certainly not criticism cos I love this game, have played it NON-STOP for days)

- If you're a fan of playing Keen from start to finish, iron man, no save, this game is IMPOSSIBLE unless you're some kind of a freak. Even on easy level.

- I have no idea how to get the grey gem in (Gleem City I think.) There are 4 planets with corresponding switches, but I don't know what the combination is (as I'm sure it activates an elevator.) Is there a hint in the game somewhere? I checked the youtube clips but the nuff who made them just used the JUMP cheat so that was no help.

- When you save in Crystal Gardens, you cannot load it back again. (blank screen - the only level I had that problem with therefore I had to beat it from start to finish no save.) Also when you load that particular level, the rectangular box that states: eg. "Keen boldly enters ________" is written in different pink text

- some levels (mostly the glass, gleem, last outpost-type) have insufficient memory for music sometimes(no big deal, really)

- unsure if I've found every level (I actually like this approach - keeps you searching all the areas of the map just in case)

- in the middle of the level map is a slime/toxic lake with (from what I can see) an island with a red and white ball on it. I can't figure out how to reach it!! argh

- is there a secret level aka The Pyramid Of The Forgotten in K4?

- not sure if some of those candies are cruelly just out of reach and impossible to obtain or not (well played, sir)

- like the original keen 4; the white dude with a gun who is un-killable can sometimes bug on a ledge, flickering back and forth on the spot (Glass gardens was one example)

- random hangs n crashes throughout the game forces you to save often

- I must be a hack 'cause I have only found the CAKE MEGACANDY! (Better play it again!)

LOVE THIS GAME!!!
stayfrosty82

Post by stayfrosty82 »

Also... what is that heart in the bottom-right part of the world map??
stayfrosty82

Post by stayfrosty82 »

Are there any invisible platforms in Keen58?
stayfrosty82

Post by stayfrosty82 »

there's a few questions above you need not answer Bernie, I just downloaded your beta 3 version.

The WEIRD thing is I played Valentine's Keen as well as CK5 after your mod and Billy seemed so small.

I do not think the bobble plant level was too hard to figure out (although a "No Shooting" sign would be cool (I read that on your thread in CKPF.) Although I'm still stumped on the 4-planets level, can't remember the name of it. Just can't figure out the combo to get up the top there.... hmmm....

It just cracks me up this game. Some of the levels, my eyes, my eyes!!! The music is really good. So good it has been in my head for days, driving me absolutely nuts!! The red under the eyes while smoking the cig when CK enters a level, his bum crack while looking down, his gut when falling. Classic. Although his smile is a little wicked and evil.

Back in '93 your mod would have been massive. What a shame. Platform games were everywhere and then when FPS came suddenly Keen was uncool at school. I didn't give a sheet, I kept playing it, just didn't tell my mates.

One more glitch I noticed. One of your levels (Gleem city perhaps) has a doorway you go through to a small room with two horizontally moving platforms and a heap of killer vegetables, a switch in the far lower left corner. I saved my game after entering this room. Promptly ate some broccoli, but when I loaded it back up the platforms were missing. Another reload and sometimes they would appear as normal, sometimes not there at all, sometimes there for a few seconds then vanished. You can still guess and try and jump on them (for some reason the glitch made them invisible) but the room puzzle was too hard to just guess your jump. Hope that helps. You got skills man, I'm loving this mod!
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

whoa whoa whoa... thank you so much :D
Also... what is that heart in the bottom-right part of the world map??
Thats a 'piece of heart' from the old Legend Of Zelda games. Just a pointless reference ;) mainly cause I treated the map level of the mod more similar to how the RPGs, like Zelda, played (i.e having characters to talk to, areas that 'unlock' as you progress).
The WEIRD thing is I played Valentine's Keen as well as CK5 after your mod and Billy seemed so small.
yeah hes grown up and drunk in my mod.
Although I'm still stumped on the 4-planets level, can't remember the name of it. Just can't figure out the combo to get up the top there.... hmmm....
Hey I think you're the first person to mention that puzzle on the boards. its a shame cause I always like this puzzle :)
Its not a combo you have to get, you have to make the planet Glorb's rings be flat/horizontal, so you can stand on it to jump up ;) hopefully your mind is blown.
It just cracks me up this game. Some of the levels, my eyes, my eyes!!! The music is really good. So good it has been in my head for days, driving me absolutely nuts!!
haha. sounds a bit... worrying :p
Platform games were everywhere and then when FPS came suddenly Keen was uncool at school. I didn't give a sheet, I kept playing it, just didn't tell my mates.
heh, they would've beaten you to death :p yeah im with you. in the mid 90s around when Mario 64 came out every game franchise got FPS-ised. I was never into it. I never bought into that.
but I think platformers are coming back. even old style graphics are coming back. its great. we are rising again, brother! ALLAHHH-AKBA!!
One more glitch I noticed. One of your levels (Gleem city perhaps) has a doorway you go through to a small room with two horizontally moving platforms and a heap of killer vegetables, a switch in the far lower left corner. I saved my game after entering this room. Promptly ate some broccoli, but when I loaded it back up the platforms were missing. Another reload and sometimes they would appear as normal, sometimes not there at all, sometimes there for a few seconds then vanished. You can still guess and try and jump on them (for some reason the glitch made them invisible) but the room puzzle was too hard to just guess your jump.
Oh crap, I didn't know about that one :/ thanks for pointing that out!
So the moving platforms would visually disappear but you could still stand on them?
also, did this happen more than once? I mean, if you were to start the level from the beginning, and play up till that point, would it happen again?
You got skills man, I'm loving this mod!
:D thank you so much. i actually love it too.
levellass

Post by levellass »

I had\have a problem similar to the platform one with WIE; except when you die on easy mode easy AND medium platforms appear, not entirely sure what causes it.
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

whats WIE?
levellass

Post by levellass »

Where Is Everyone, a Keen 4 mod I am working on.

Every day I fear that I am making a bug that will only happen on other people's computers.
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

i dunno about your thing levellass, but stayfrosty's disappearing platforms im pretty sure has to do with sprites that get produced and arent disappearing, I had that problem with that level before cause of the white bald alien enemies (but I thought I fixed it :s )
levellass

Post by levellass »

All sprites should clear when Keen dies or loads a game. If the game isn't saved quite right bugs can occur. It'd be interesting to get the savegame and\or screenshot.
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

well the bald alien guys (Kreegs) is the only thing that makes that and the last few levels stand out from the rest. so if it isn't the objects not disappearing from memory thing then maybe its something else about them.
Unless its a problem that could occur in any other level :s
also, that particular level is one of the most memory-full levels in my mod. could be some sorta general memory deal. (but then why doesnt the music cut out instead?)
we have a mystery on our hands guys.
stayfrosty82

Post by stayfrosty82 »

Hey Bernie, I was playing Keen 58 for REAL last night; Normal mode Iron Man no loading.
It's very well done so far, progression wise.
In the beginning you have the chance to snare a few extra lives. These can help you get the hang of the Abandoned Ship and Wreck City levels. I love the way candy is placed throughout. If you go for the jelly, cake or classic keen pez, (sometimes you just have to take the extra time to increase your score and get another life) you end up having to cycle back again. Time = candy, but you don't necessarily have to get it.
The essential Abandoned Tower and Vault were very challenging indeed, but I eventually passed them, losing a few lives though. Now on to the Poison river... I'm gonna give it three lives and then try the Sick Forest.

I'll also give a more in-depth reply to those bugs a little later, when I can get some text down and some screen shots.

(I just figured out how to take a screen shot running windows with a mac keyboard!)

I will say the secrets (the ones I've found :) so far are great!!! There's just the right amount and in well though of places. The shakes and stuns near the entry to the Vault are awesome! There's usually some extra candy tucked against the walls too.

By the way Bernie... I have a list of the level numbers that contain the megacandies. 2 is the first one. err... i think level 7 has one. But what is 2? 7? Do I go by the Keen wiki page where they are listed in some kind of order?
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

sounds like you're having a good time there :p thanks for your words.

and yeah, the order of levels are whats in the wiki article.