Martatroid

Showcase your completed mod here!
VikingBoyBilly

Martatroid

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I just had this random idea: A metroid crossover starring Marta. It would be a keen mod (not sure which episode, but I'm thinking one of the vorticons episodes is most likely) with the setting and atmosphere of the 8-bit metroid games.

As for the plot, I have no clue, except for Marta crash lands her pinky rocket on the metroid home world (from the Metroid II gameboy game) and she must fight through metroids, kraid, ridley, and find and destroy the Great-great-great-great-great-great-grandmother brain to escape.

At the end there will be a shocking reveal (gasp!) - Marta is a girl!
and maybe Samus is her descendant.

Could use tiles ripped from metroid for NES if the mod is lazy enough. I don't know if I'll ever make this myself. It's just an idea I'm throwing out there.
Gridlock

Post by Gridlock »

As a Metroid fan, I'd be interested in seeing this idea. But you'd need a pretty clear concept of what you are going to do with it, especially since Vorticons won't give you much leeway for lots of sprites. I'm having a hard time figuring out how a metroid enemy could be implemented. Maybe something with ankh time in Keen 3, but still...

Keep in mind that if you use ripped NES tiles you'll need to change the colors. If you want tilesets or other things, I recommend looking here: http://metroidr.brpxqzme.net/

It might be cool to have the game take place on SR388 (the metroid homeworld). You could mix in space pirates, different kinds of metroids, and maybe Mother Brain or the Queen Metroid as some kind of final boss (though that might be a bit ambitious for Vorticons)

Also, you might want to consider what you want to do with the pogo. I guess you could turn it into some kind of spin jump/space jump/screw attack ability.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Do you perhaps mean Martroid?

especially since Vorticons won't give you much leeway for lots of sprites.
Keen Community Mod, how many sprites did we have again?
Paramultart

Post by Paramultart »

Hmm... Not a fan of the idea.

In my opinion, the only crossovers that work are from the same company or are closely associated somehow. In this case, only other Apogee/ID Software games would be acceptable to cross over to.

I'm not a fan of Nintendo, and the idea of any of these popular games infiltrating the underground DOS medium kind of offends me.
Gridlock

Post by Gridlock »

I'm not really sure if there's much point bumping such an old topic. I'd still be interested in seeing such a mod, but I don't see if happening any time soon.
I'm not a fan of Nintendo, and the idea of any of these popular games infiltrating the underground DOS medium kind of offends me.
Hey man, you're entitled to your opinion, but the Metroid series is pretty amazing. Nintendo can make some great games when they give a damn (not recently). I can definitely say Metroid and Zelda have been a significant source of inspiration for my own stuff (especially AR).
levellass

Post by levellass »

The Zelda Keen mod was pretty good for its time.
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

zelda keen mod?
so i've checked out the mods on the wiki page and yet now and again i keep seeing references to all sorts of other crazy mods i never heard of.
Benvolio

Post by Benvolio »

An oldie but a goldie. Check it out. I believe it has been quite influential on mods since its release, despite almost completely non-original graphics.
XkyRauh

Post by XkyRauh »

It was done by my buddy CheesyDave. :)
Benvolio

Post by Benvolio »

Hey Xky, great to hear from you once in a while!
A very long time ago, Xky wrote:As I've mentioned a few times, my friend CheesyDave is working on a few mods on and off in his spare time
Did he ever finish or release anything else besides Zelda II??
XkyRauh

Post by XkyRauh »

No, unfortunately. :(