80%
NO
20%

Total votes: 5

MoffD

First Keen 4 Mod

Post by MoffD »

Hey Guys!
Most of you should know me from pckf, but I finally created an account here ;)

I have started working on my first mod evaaar and was wondering if someone could help me with a few patches.

What I want to do is when you hit fire/pogo/something it uses ammo and gives invincibility (like a shield with charge) and maybe have it with recharging ammo. (I don't mind replacing pogo code)

I'm pretty sure most of this is doable but I don't know if all of those can be combined at the same time for that desired effect.

Thanks in advance!
MoffD

Post by MoffD »

*Bump* Can an admin move this to Galaxy Requests?
levellass

Post by levellass »

Ok, so you need to be a bit more specific as to how you want this to work.

By hit\fire\pogo do you mean all three or just one of the options?

I'm guessing you want some mechanic where Keen doesn't shoot but instead gets a temporary shield (with or without shield animation?) whenever he 'fires' his raygun; this would require just a small adaption of an existing patch I have made and is easily doable.

If you wan this also to occur when Keen is 'hit' by something deadly... how does death work?

If you want this also to happen when he pogos lethal creatures then we may have to get rid of the Well Of Wishes scuba death.
MoffD

Post by MoffD »

levellass wrote:Ok, so you need to be a bit more specific as to how you want this to work.

By hit\fire\pogo do you mean all three or just one of the options?

I'm guessing you want some mechanic where Keen doesn't shoot but instead gets a temporary shield (with or without shield animation?) whenever he 'fires' his raygun; this would require just a small adaption of an existing patch I have made and is easily doable.

If you wan this also to occur when Keen is 'hit' by something deadly... how does death work?

If you want this also to happen when he pogos lethal creatures then we may have to get rid of the Well Of Wishes scuba death.
Thanks Lass! Sorry I'll try to be more specific.

So lets assume we are working from replacing firing (unless you can do it from scratch with its own key) keen "fires" but instead of shooting he animates with a shield around him that prevents him from being killed by normal enemies and possibly some traps, as this is running it uses ammo but ammo recharges while not firing to 99.

If any bit of this doesn't work it should be fine as long as the rest works.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Ok, I think I can *add* this using a WIE patch in addition to pogoing and firing OR it can replace either of those. The shield idea will be interesting to tr and implement (Not sure how well I can make it track Keen) but should make it easy to turn the invincibility on\off. The default would cause godmode type invincibility but certain enemies could be coded to bypass godmode (And the moon tile if not being used could be made into a 'kill Keen at all times' tile.) Doing this in addition to firing would have two drains on Keen's ammo (and the shield could drain more than one shot per firing.) How does that sound?
MoffD

Post by MoffD »

levellass wrote:Ok, I think I can *add* this using a WIE patch in addition to pogoing and firing OR it can replace either of those. The shield idea will be interesting to tr and implement (Not sure how well I can make it track Keen) but should make it easy to turn the invincibility on\off. The default would cause godmode type invincibility but certain enemies could be coded to bypass godmode (And the moon tile if not being used could be made into a 'kill Keen at all times' tile.) Doing this in addition to firing would have two drains on Keen's ammo (and the shield could drain more than one shot per firing.) How does that sound?
Sounds good! as to tracking keen, couldn't you just make it so godmode is active while the key is pressed and there's ammo? the animation could just replace his normal one for whatever we replace
levellass

Post by levellass »

Right, now this is different to what I thought you wanted.

Initially I thought you wanted 'press key, lose one shot and x second of invincibility is activated' (This is how it currently works in WIE.)

But if I understand you right you want 'Press a key and ammo starts dropping at a regular rate until none is left and be invincible ONLY while that key is pressed' this is a little trickier to balance and I'll need to know WHAT you want replaced, shooting, pogoing or neither. (Shield animations will depend on what exactly you want the shield to look like.)
MoffD

Post by MoffD »

levellass wrote:Right, now this is different to what I thought you wanted.

Initially I thought you wanted 'press key, lose one shot and x second of invincibility is activated' (This is how it currently works in WIE.)

But if I understand you right you want 'Press a key and ammo starts dropping at a regular rate until none is left and be invincible ONLY while that key is pressed' this is a little trickier to balance and I'll need to know WHAT you want replaced, shooting, pogoing or neither. (Shield animations will depend on what exactly you want the shield to look like.)
I guess pogo and I can change his jump height or design the map to accommodate for the lack (or he gets higher jump while shielding :D). as to what it looks like I think it could just be a direct sprite replacement like a crystal around him or something like this: http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Armor_Lock (yes I know it's halo) Thanks again!
MoffD

Post by MoffD »

*BUMP* So recap:
1.Replaces pogo stick
2.Uses pogo images
3.Makes keen jump higher when holding key at same time
4.uses custom ammo if possible which recharges (or use score as an incentive to not use it) XD

Any progress on this Levellass? *beg* :) :) :)
levellass

Post by levellass »

Didn't know about the custom ammo and jump higher bits. Ok let's see what I can do then.
MoffD

Post by MoffD »

levellass wrote:Didn't know about the custom ammo and jump higher bits. Ok let's see what I can do then.
Custom ammo=uses score (maybe ~100 per tick/sec)
jump higher can you use normal jump code and add height if an additional button is pressed? <---not completely necessary but would make level design easier
also: THANKS LASS! (excited to have some help)
levellass

Post by levellass »

Ok, this is a patch that changes Keen's jump height if he jumps while also pressing the alt key. (It also plays a different sound if you want.) Pogo is disabled:

Code: Select all

#While falling, no pogo
%patch $C495 $EB $20

#Alt key causes standing Keen to jump higher when pressed (with pogo sound)
%patch $BACE $75
%patch $BAD5 $6E
%patch $BAF8 $83 $3E $C5C5W  $00 $74 $0D $C7 $06 $CABBW  $0019W  $C7 $44 $18
             $FFC8W  $EB $06 $C7 $06 $CABBW  $0012W  $C7 $44 $1C $1166W  $B8
             $0002W  $50 $9A $187409F1RL     $83 $C4 $02 $5E $5D $CB

#Alt key causes waling Keen to jump higher when pressed (with pogo sound)
%patch $BEE3 $60
%patch $BEEA $79
%patch $BF14 $83 $3E $C5C5W  $00 $74 $0D $C7 $06 $CABBW  $0019W  $C7 $44 $18
             $0002W  $50 $9A $187409F1RL     $83 $C4 $02 $5E $8B $E5 $5D $CB
             $EB $1E

If this is ok I can start whacking out the rest. TI propose that the alt key will only need to be pressed once to activate 5 seconds of shield (IF Keen has >500 points!) and it will produce a shield sprite that follows Keen. Holding the key down will keep the shield past 5 seconds. (The specific amounts of time\points can be negotiated, I'd say more like 1'000 points per tick would be better or even 10'000, it'd depend how often you want the player to use the shield.)
MoffD

Post by MoffD »

levellass wrote:Ok, this is a patch that changes Keen's jump height if he jumps while also pressing the alt key. (It also plays a different sound if you want.) Pogo is disabled:

#While falling, no pogo
%patch $C495 $EB $20

#Alt key causes standing Keen to jump higher when pressed (with pogo sound)
%patch $BACE $75
%patch $BAD5 $6E
%patch $BAF8 $83 $3E $C5C5W  $00 $74 $0D $C7 $06 $CABBW  $0019W  $C7 $44 $18
             $0002W  $50 $9A $187409F1RL     $83 $C4 $02 $5E $5D $CB

#Alt key causes waling Keen to jump higher when pressed (with pogo sound)
%patch $BEE3 $60
%patch $BEEA $79
%patch $BF14 $83 $3E $C5C5W  $00 $74 $0D $C7 $06 $CABBW  $0019W  $C7 $44 $18
             $0002W  $50 $9A $187409F1RL     $83 $C4 $02 $5E $8B $E5 $5D $CB
             $EB $1E

If this is ok I can start whacking out the rest. TI propose that the alt key will only need to be pressed once to activate 5 seconds of shield (IF Keen has >500 points!) and it will produce a shield sprite that follows Keen. Holding the key down will keep the shield past 5 seconds. (The specific amounts of time\points can be negotiated, I'd say more like 1'000 points per tick would be better or even 10'000, it'd depend how often you want the player to use the shield.)
Working like a charm! ;)

I think you can go ahead and make it 1000 for shield use although I think that's high enough as it will be needed for level completion, levels will also need emergency points or kill zones if you run out of points in areas requiring high jumps.
Interesting thought: how will this affect bonus lives through points?

As to sounds, if doable:
pogo sound=shield is running or just activated
jump sound=normal jump
MoffD

Post by MoffD »

*BUMP* again, I'm pretty busy these next several weeks with finals, but is there any update on the coding lass? *begs and Kisses feet* I appreciate your help and patience
levellass

Post by levellass »

Well I've got a patch to make a shield sprite appear, this is a basic example patch:

#Stop Keen pogoing
%patch $BB06 $EB $3C #While walking
%patch $BF1F $EB $43 #Impossible pogo
%patch $C495 $EB $20 #While falling

#Append shot spr to Keen
%patch $D781 $B8 $0001W  $50 $33 $C0 $50 $8B $C7 $05 $00AEW  $50 $8B $44 $0C
             $05 $0050W  $50 $8B $44 $0A $05 $00 $00 $50 $8B $C6 $05 $42 $00
             $50 $9A $16541641RL     $83 $C4 $0C $5E $5D $CB

#Add shield to...
%patch $D35C $E9 $0422W #Keen standing
%patch $D445 $E9 $0339W #Keen walking

The problem as you'll notice is Keen keeps leaving sprites all over the level, causing the game to crash. This is proving a tough bug to crush but I am indeed working on it.

Lemm says 'wait for the source code' so he's been no help.