k3.5 tiles

Utilities for editing Keen:Galaxy and Keen:Dreams levels.
shikadi

k3.5 tiles

Post by shikadi »

i can't find tiles for keen dreams
where can i find them?
and how can i let ted make kee n dreams levels?
ckguy

Post by ckguy »

The Keen Dreams tiles can be found here, along with all of the other episodes' tiles. The unregistered version of Keen Dreams stores its data in a different format that Keens 4,5,6, so TED5 is not able to edit it. I don't have a copy of registered Keen Dreams, but I hear that its data is stored more like Keen 4,5,6's so there is a possibility there. (Hint.) This file of adurdin's has some info on the Keen Dreams file formats, but I'm not sure if it's talking about the registered of unregistered version, and I haven't looked at it in a while.
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

I have a copy of the registered version, and the format's not that different, only slightly more compact. (E.g. the start screen is stored as tiles not as a separate file.)

Good luck trying to edit these; I've been trying for years to figure out the format. (Although A Keen dreams tile info would be nice.)
ckguy

Post by ckguy »

I sent you an email, LL, to your hotmail 'six different people' account. Please check it. ;-)

(Edit) Damn it ...
adurdin wrote:I believe that Keen Dreams uses Huffman compression for the maps -- the same kind of compression used for the graphics and sounds in Dreams and 4-6, and hence the presence of mapdict along with egadict and auddict.

Keens 4-6 otoh use "Carmack compression" for the maps.

Editing Keen Dreams in TED5 would require another program to take the TED5 output (uncompressed maps) and compress that with Huffman coding.
If this is true (and it probably is) Keen Dreams editing is not just over the horizon. I've never been great at Huffman codes. They're simple enough in theory and on paper, but whenever I try to write one (and I've tried several times) something always goes wrong and I give up.

(edit) slight clarification (read: correction)
Last edited by ckguy on Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

If you can decompress the maps once, then substitute an 8-bit huffman table, like Biomenace uses for its sounds, then you'd not need to compress the maps at all and could edit them to your heart's content.

Now who was it who was editing Keen sounds?