Sprite thread

The Commander Keen Community Mod!
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

Does all palette colors work well now?

Can you post a test level with all the enemies?
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

Made some possible Death Frames....

lemm

Post by lemm »

Okay, I used the two galaxy bouncer frames. In-level keen is coded!
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

Cool :D
lemm

Post by lemm »

New test mod is up in dropbox.

Contains all the sprites in level 1, 15, and 20 (they are labelled).
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

Wow, veeery cool!!!

I can't pass too far, as I don't have much ammo and enemies are strong and I die :)
But what I could test - looks just great :)

Hope mappers will take crouching into consideration...and it makes you pass 1-square passages.
lemm

Post by lemm »

cheats are stil active...

C+T+Space = cheat
G+O+D = invincible
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

Thanks, that's much better :)

Very nice implementations :)

1. I don't thing blue eyeroller should move. He also doesn't have the moving frames.

2. Devil's full-body delay should be longer IMO

3. What does the "Yoga"-Lizard do? Wind? Didn't you say you won't implement him?
Where are the slimy enemies? Green slime and green Keen4 Mushroom clone (jumping)? Didn't find red bone-enemy either. Jumping fish? red Eye-jumper? Scorpion?
lemm

Post by lemm »

Thanks for feedback. Let me know if there are any more errors, especially with regards to movement on slopes/through walls (I think I've fixed all the major bugs...)
1. I don't thing blue eyeroller should move. He also doesn't have the moving frames.
Okay, I'll make it stationary, and try to make its aim a bit better too.
Agreed.. I'll fix that.

3. What does the "Yoga"-Lizard do? Wind? Didn't you say you won't implement him?
Yep, and if you shoot him, stops the force for a second letting you pass. I think the frames are still messed up on this enemy, I'll have to fix it up a bit.
Where are the slimy enemies? Green slime and green Keen4 Mushroom clone (jumping)? Didn't find red bone-enemy either. Jumping fish? red Eye-jumper? Scorpion?
Unfortunately there isn't enough code space to include everything you've drawn, nor is there enough graphics room, and these are just hard limits that I can't do anything about... So, we'll have to save those for episode 2. (The red eyeball hopper is there; you have to shoot the rolling eyeball sac and three of the pop out).
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

lemm wrote:Thanks for feedback. Let me know if there are any more errors, especially with regards to movement on slopes/through walls (I think I've fixed all the major bugs...)
Yes, you do a great job :)
The testmod still has some (quite a number) of noticable bugs, mostly in physics and frames (some of which are waaay too fast, though I run the testmod directly from XP, not DosBox).

The autoseeking dvarf "mage-guard" doesn't seem to have weaknesses and is too hard to pass....maybe worth adding some weaknesses/balancing.

The bowshooter seems overpowered as well, though much more passable, mostly with a pogo.

Helmet Mage has some buggy movement around blocks
Agreed.. I'll fix that.
Another thing I've noticed is the bad offsetting of the "single" firehead relative to the dissapearing body.
Unfortunately there isn't enough code space to include everything you've drawn, nor is there enough graphics room, and these are just hard limits that I can't do anything about... So, we'll have to save those for episode 2. (The red eyeball hopper is there; you have to shoot the rolling eyeball sac and three of the pop out).
Well, maybe you can at least prepare their coding for the future...
I thing enemy selection is not perfect.
The Helmet Mage looks too metal and too tech for ShadowLands, and would better fit a spaceship episode. It's also too close to the flying wingball. The slimy "Mad Mushroom clone" on the other hand is very Keen 4-style, nice retro cameo.
The same with some other enemies. Two type of slugs (yellow and purple) in one episode might be too much... Scorpion or moving Slime might be better.
Some enemies are currently overpowered, the dwarf mage and even bow shooter, though so much fit the archeological theme. Yet - scorpion fits the same archeological theme better, and I don't see more logical use for him in the other episodes. I made the scorpion for the Archeo-theme.

Maybe we'll put the enemy list on a vote? :)
Wow, some strong wind it was :) It totally blocked me and pushed back. Nice idea, really nice... (good idea, if implemented right), "The "Force" is sure with that one, heh :)
But his arms don't animate (or animate too fast?)
(The red eyeball hopper is there; you have to shoot the rolling eyeball sac and three of the pop out).
Cool :) Very nice :) Though the moving rock is too "underpowered" to force being shot at. Depending on placing though.
lemm

Post by lemm »

Yeah, a lot of the enemies will require good placement. I didn't really think about that too much when I made the test level...

The mage can be shot and stunned. I can lower its shooting rate though.

The archer is very hard to defeat if you come at him straight on. However there, are two easy ways to defeat him.

1. Duck behind a barricade one tile high. He can't shoot at you when you are ducking, but you can pop up and take quick shots if he is close enough. then pop back down.
2. Shoot at him from above. He is completely defenceless from the top

However, I can slow down shot speed and shot rate. Also I think I need to fix its death frame.

I can add some of the helmet mage character into the winged ball, and I'll get rid of the helmet mage. Save him for later.

I can remove the purple slug; it's behaviour is not very inventive anyway. I'll put in the scorpion, and try to make it's tail do the extension.

I actually had the hopping slime programmed but removed it; i can put him back in though.

For the red eyeball thing, the intent was that it would be put in a tunnel, so that you would have to shoot it, or next to an enemy, so that it would be inadvertently shot. It could also be destroyed by a sloth fireball, mage shot, archer shot, etc.
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

lemm wrote: I can add some of the helmet mage character into the winged ball, and I'll get rid of the helmet mage. Save him for later
Well...you can "save" either one...if you think out of the two the Mage fits better, then... I just said that they are too much alike. Both free-floating creatures.
I can remove the purple slug; it's behaviour is not very inventive anyway. I'll put in the scorpion, and try to make it's tail do the extension.
I saw Scorpion as a jumping creature, something like a BigMouth. But you can choose your concept.
I actually had the hopping slime programmed but removed it; i can put him back in though.
Do you have coding and sprite memory for it?

About the "slime mad mushroom" - I thought a bit more - and indeed it's too much like the green bird (which is a cooler concept). Maybe will save the "slime mushroom" for later.
For the red eyeball thing, the intent was that it would be put in a tunnel, so that you would have to shoot it, or next to an enemy, so that it would be inadvertently shot. It could also be destroyed by a sloth fireball, mage shot, archer shot, etc.
Indeed, nice idea.

In general - we need to ask the mappers which creatures they prefer. I can make them in, but the mappers are the ones to come with ideas and concepts for thier use and placing...we should put in creatures the mappers are most interested in.
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

You can also consider to code in pogo-death for little frogs :) like that fly from Keen 4 :) I can make the squish frame.
lemm

Changes

Post by lemm »

In the process of updating:

Purple worm and helmet mage are gone.

Janitor bird and green bird do not have illuminated hit frames anymore, since none of the other sprites do, and we should be consistent.

I'll consider the pogo squish for the frog, but I am inclined to keep it as it is right now. I think its a bit too large to be squashed.

Making the scorpion jump over blocks might be easier now if it uses the fire fly code that checks for collisions with walls.

Can you draw left/right stunned frames for the bow shooter?

I also want to redo the large red alien. Could you redraw the head so that it does a 3 frame rotation? Could you also shorten the outstretched tentacles so that the sprite is at most 96 px wide?
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

lemm wrote:Can you draw left/right stunned frames for the bow shooter?
Sure, why not...I'll take a look