Map Keen patch code (VERY IMPORTANT!!!)

Request patches for Keen Dreams.
szemigi

Map Keen patch code (VERY IMPORTANT!!!)

Post by szemigi »

Ready it carefully, Levellass.
levellass

Post by levellass »

This is very complex and it might be better just to ask Lemm to build you a new Keen Dreams from the source.

Are you wanting one character at a time, which is easier or both to be in the level at once? The second I cannot do, Keen Dreams does not have the space for it.
szemigi

Post by szemigi »

levellass wrote:Are you wanting one character at a time, which is easier or both to be in the level at once?
Yeah, old Martinez and the normal Martinez in the level at once would be good. I want this patch. (Because I forgot to tell you it'll be good, too.)

But that's good, too if for example in Level 1 you play as the normal Martinez, in Level 2 you play as the old Martinez, etc. (It'd be better in my opinion.) If it's possible as well, I want this patch as well, so I can choose which one I wish to you use.

But if the 'old Martinez and the normal Martinez in the level at once' patch thing will work only, then make only this one.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Ok, the only one I can try to make is to have old Mart in some levels and new Mart in others. This could be done like having a special 'old Mart' sprite you put in a level instead of normal Mart.

They will have to use the same controls since there is not room enough to male a whole new player in the code.

Given this it would be easy to stop him doing stuff like climbing up since you could just leave out poles and things. Even if this is what we attempt I am not entirely sure how easy it will be to do and it will take much time.
szemigi

Post by szemigi »

levellass wrote:Ok, the only one I can try to make is to have old Mart in some levels and new Mart in others. This could be done like having a special 'old Mart' sprite you put in a level instead of normal Mart.
I accept it!
levellass wrote:They will have to use the same controls since there is not room enough to male a whole new player in the code.
Alright, that will be good. And I see.
levellass wrote:Given this it would be easy to stop him doing stuff like climbing up since you could just leave out poles and things. Even if this is what we attempt I am not entirely sure how easy it will be to do and it will take much time.
Yeah, that's what I plan: the levels where the old Martinez is in (instead of the normal Martinez) won't have poles. And no matter how long does it take to make this patch.
szemigi

Post by szemigi »

So?
levellass

Post by levellass »

Ok, I am not sure on this, but what are you doing with the death window? you will not be going back to the map, that is sure, was there a patch for it? Because it could be made into a 'Try again' window that would free up some space for this. (That is the player would see the window and press a key to restart the level. Or the whole window could be removed or something, I don't know, your decision.)
szemigi

Post by szemigi »

So Try again window would free up space or what?

(Anyway, I sent you the link of my mod.)
levellass

Post by levellass »

Well you are not using the map window, so most definitely you can't use the 'return to Tuberia' thing; all you can do is like Biomenace restart the same level. So the question is do you want a window at all. (Which means the player must press the key and go 'Yes, I died') or not.

I see the patches I sent you for the window now and right now it seems you have a 'try again' window anyway. If that is the case and you do not plan to change it then it frees up some space for using.
szemigi

Post by szemigi »

Well, I wanna use the 'Failed! Try again.' window definitely. That's sure. I don't plan to change this window at all, that's sure either.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Cool. I will try and merge the patches.

You can also use level 0, there is no need to have it missing. Also, this patch is looking pretty good, at least the animation bit. Both Keen and Mart should work with both left AND right spawning. Right now the big problem is loading games, when you do it it doesn't change what character you are which can cause problems.

I am going to be tweaking a few things in the copy you sent, mostly the patch file so do post if you make any changes to your mod so things don't get mixed up.

EDIT: Also I cannot make Mart pogo, he will control like normal Mart but look different. What frames are going to be his jumping and shooting (Some left\right, some up, some down) frames? Also he needs crouching frames and a look up fame. If more space is needed for these I notice 245,246 and 253,254 are free, moving the animations around could free up some more space for Old Mart.
szemigi

Post by szemigi »

Old Martinez will have as many moves as in Mart episode 1-3.

Unlike the normal Mart, he won't climb up/down, he won't crouch, he won't look up, he won't pogo (since you cannot make it). AKA Keen1-3 moves for the old Martinez (except the pogo move, which you cannot make). If you get what I mean.

from 7SPR0221.BMP to 7SPR0226.BMP -> jumping frames (facing right)
from 7SPR0227.BMP to 7SPR0232.BMP -> jumping frames (facing left)
7SPR0233.BMP and 7SPR0234.BMP -> shooting frames

And if you ask, my answer is: Yeah, I definitely wanna use these sprite numbers and I 100% surely want (only) these moves for the old Martinez.

That's all I want for the old Martinez.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Ok. So you want Mart's shooting left and right and up and down frames to all just be his shooting frames? No special frames, because if you did you could replace the pogo frames with them.
szemigi

Post by szemigi »

levellass wrote:Ok. So you want Mart's shooting left and right and up and down frames to all just be his shooting frames? No special frames, because if you did you could replace the pogo frames with them.
Well, old Martinez shoots left and right only, so he doesn't shoot up and down. That's why I said SPR0233 (shooting right) and SPR0234 (shooting left) are his 2 shooting frames, so I don't want any more (aka shoot up, down) shooting frames for him.
And I'm absolutely sure I want this.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Ok... that might be tricky to do. I'll try but it will probably be quite a big patch by itself.