i want to begin to learn mapping for the galaxy engine and i need someone to support me!

Request patches for Keens 4-6.
Nisaba

Re: i want to begin to learn mapping for the galaxy engine and i need someone to support me!

Post by Nisaba »

oh, I photoshoped all level map images you can find on the KeenWiki. I did that in a way, that you can only see the things you would actually be able to see in game. for eg: check the moving platform right in the middle of the level. as you can tell the second image is more accurate in terms of foreground and background layers.

this is the raw GalaxyView material:

and here are my manipulations:

BTW, I've noticed that you seem to have an outdated version of Buried in Oblivion.
You might wanna make sure to grab a fresh copy of the newest version.
levellass

Re: i want to begin to learn mapping for the galaxy engine and i need someone to support me!

Post by levellass »

I must say you certainly progressed fast.
Fleexy
Site Admin

Post by Fleexy »

Ah, I misunderstood, sorry Dave. In that case, I'm not aware of a level viewer that can correctly handle front tiles. Perhaps I'll need to implement it myself, as you suggested.

Also, wow Nisaba, I had no idea you did all that. Thank you for all your work!
darkdave1985

Post by darkdave1985 »

oh, that's how it works. this would be what i need, because i don't want that anybody can see the sprites in the pic which are normally hidden behind the fg in the game itself but i would never do it that way. first i never worked with photoshop and second, it must still be a hell of a lot work, even when you know how to do it. so, respect!

what would the world be, without photoshop. 😆😆😆
Nisaba

Post by Nisaba »

...you can also use GIMP or almost any other graphics editor instead...
darkdave1985

Post by darkdave1985 »

ok, i want to make a blue bridge. the one you can open or close with a switch. i build the bridge itself to 100% correct and i also linked, the switch to the right point on the bridge correct. i also checked the overlay settings and both, switch and bridge have the correct "S" settings. everything is buiild and linked correctly but it still don't work. i also checked other maps like original ones and threre it's exact the same. so i did nothing wrong. so, what could possibly be that it still don't work?
Nisaba

Post by Nisaba »

oh no... the universe is toast!!!

for debugging reasons I need a bit more information. a screenshot of the bridge in question with all infoplane overlays turned on might be a good start.
Nisaba

Post by Nisaba »

Fleexy wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:44 pm [...] There are two different invisible "open bridge" tiles, one for the top half and one for the bottom. [...] The top half tile is 0B51, found in the tileset just to the right of the top half of the closed bridge.

You can see an example of a correctly configured initially-open bridge in level 12 (Pyramid_Shadows) of the original Keen 4.
Nisaba wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:00 pm Image

darkdave1985

Post by darkdave1985 »

i have 2 pics for you. the switch were the link starts from, is not in it but it's just a normal switch fg tile with the ip number on it, which you get when you link it to another place. the rest from everything is in the pics, one time with, one time without the linkline. i hope that's enough.

https://www94.zippyshare.com/v/nYb6a2eW/file.html
https://www94.zippyshare.com/v/VAJa7G46/file.html

and i tried to put in the pics directly with bbcode as you showed me but it didn't work. can you please explain me this one more time? a little bit more exact maybe?
Fleexy
Site Admin

Post by Fleexy »

There are two kinds of switches in Keen 4 and 5. One is a platform switch that affects [B] blocks (or path arrows in Keen 5). The other is a tile switch that toggles tiles like bridges. I suspect you currently have a platform switch, but you need a tile switch: tile 03E2, selected here:

To embed images, you can copy the text ZippyShare gives you in the "forum" box under "embed image" and paste it into your post. For example, this...

Code: Select all

[url=//www94.zippyshare.com/v/nYb6a2eW/file.html][img]//www94.zippyshare.com/scaled/nYb6a2eW/file.html[/img][/url]
...produces...
darkdave1985

Post by darkdave1985 »

wtf! i never thought, that you can only do one kind of thing with one kind of switch. i thought the kind of switch doesn't matter, as long as everything is linked correctly to the other spot which should be activated/deactivated. It would never have occurred to me. and of course i had the switch for the platforms and now with the other one for the tiles, it works perfect. ok, thanks and good to know now!
Fleexy
Site Admin

Post by Fleexy »

Yeah, that can be surprising. (For what it's worth, there's only one kind of switch in Keen 6 and it can indeed do both.) I've introduced some new logic in the Level Inspector that will warn you about switch type issues. The new version - with these and other small changes - should be out within a couple days.
darkdave1985

Post by darkdave1985 »

nice to hear. it would be good to fix the cutter, as you said some time ago.
Fleexy
Site Admin

Post by Fleexy »

Oh, I forgot to tell you - I fixed the cut feature a while back in v2.11, but due to some networking issues, v2.10 can't auto-update to v2.11. You can download the newest version here. That includes all v2.11 features plus the switch inspection I mentioned.
darkdave1985

Post by darkdave1985 »

so, i 'm working on my first own map since some weeks and i have a question. i can play the map without any problem but when i exit the map an error message occurs. "RF_NewMap: Map too tall!"

what is this?

i replaced map 6 from keen 4 with my own map and my map has a smaller size than crystalus!