Request patches for Keens 4-6.
szemigi

Keen 5: Keen shoots up diagonally

Post by szemigi »

Well, I want an easy quick one:

Keen shoots up/left by pressing button L and the sprite is 5SPR0268.BMP
Keen shoots up/right by pressing button R and the sprite is 5SPR0269.BMP

He can do this in the air, too:

Keen shoots up/left in air by pressing button A in the air (during jumping/pogoing) and the sprite is 5SPR0270.BMP
Keen shoots up/right in air by pressing button D in the air (during jumping/pogoing) and the sprite is 5SPR0271.BMP
levellass

Re: Keen 5: Keen shoots up diagonally

Post by levellass »

That will be a very difficult patch to do indeed. Will it need to be two different sets of buttons (L\R and A\D)? Wouldn't it be better to use one set of buttons in air and on the ground?
szemigi

Post by szemigi »

Well, I want the L/R and A/D as this makes sense for me. So yeah, 2 sets: A/D in air, L/R from the ground. This would make my mod easy. I know it's difficult patch, but no matter how long does it take, I want the L/R and A/D version in all cases. I wait.
szemigi

Post by szemigi »

WARNING!
After I'll use sprite 268 for Keen's map death sprite (as you said we can use 268 for the map Keen's death sprite), that's why here is the change:

Keen shoots up/left by pressing button L and the sprite is NOT 5SPR0268.BMP (since it's Keen's map death sprite), but 5SPR0272.BMP. This would be the only change, the others stay.

And by up/left an up/right I hope you know that I mean: when Keen facing left, he shoots up/left (in air and on ground) and when facing right, he shoots up/right (in air and on ground)

Say that you can make it in a few days.
levellass

Post by levellass »

It is a tricky one, first I'll need to change the shot code so diagonal options are possible. Then I'll need to change Keen's shooting code to allow four different new things to happen I am looking, but it is hard to tell how long it will take with the limited time I have.
szemigi

Post by szemigi »

No problem. Now that you told me you have limited time, I'm surely waiting. Take your time. :)
levellass

Post by levellass »

This patch has beaten me. I thought it might be possible but I cannot make it work. I can get Keen's shots to move diagonally easy enough, I can make it so if the up and right arrow keys are pressed the shot moves up-right for example, but I have been unable to insert a new shooting action into the game. The requirements have just been too complex for the space that's there. I am sorry, I really thought this would work when I started.
szemigi

Post by szemigi »

No problem. You tried.
I can get Keen's shots to move diagonally easy enough, I can make it so if the up and right arrow keys are pressed the shot moves up-right for example, but I have been unable to insert a new shooting action into the game.
I want it definitely, in all cases!
But question:
1. Could you make the up-left version, too? And could you do this entire easy diagonal patch for Keen 4 and 6 as well along with the current Keen 5 one? (I'll need them, seriously.)