PATCH: Allowing the Pogo to always fly.

Completed patches for Keen1.
Ringman

PATCH: Allowing the Pogo to always fly.

Post by Ringman »

What values in hex needs to be change or adjusted to allow the Keen to always fly when using the pogo, I'm trying to create a Jet Pack. I would prefer to hex edit the exe as opposed to patching it, but anything will do.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Here we prefer patches. :) Anyways, don't know, but I'd guess it could be made somehow that it would always do the same than with god mode on, could be just a matter of one or two bytes again. :) Although if changing the pogo jumping and so on, that would take much more. That would bring interesting gameplay..
adurdin
Site Founder

Post by adurdin »

Code: Select all

%ext ck1
%version 1.31

%patch $3F4E  $90 $90

%end
Ringman

Post by Ringman »

I understand the need to only patch and not hex edit, but I don't plan on releasing this to the public.

Thanks for the patch, but I'm still lost as to how to use that in a hex editor as opposed to ckpatching.

I'm sure that $34fe is the address, but what is $90 $90? If I put 9090 in the game crashes when using the pogo. Please explain what value needs to be put here in the exe file.
XkyRauh

Post by XkyRauh »

Well, it's actually more complicated than that... see, these patch files patch the values that are loaded into memory when you run the executable file with the ck#patch utilities... if you try and hack the data directly into the keen1.exe file, you're going to need to know how far back (or forward) to offset the patch numbers.

At this point, the easiest way to implement what you want is to download ck1patch, make a new txt file (renamed to .pat) with the info Andy just posted for you. Then, just use the DOS prompt to do ck1patch mypatch.pat (or whatever you named your patch file) ... honestly, haxx0ring the keen1.exe is more complicated. :-)

--Xky
Ringman

Post by Ringman »

I understand how to do it with CK patch, the thing is I don't really wish to. I want the change to be permanent, mostly this is to learn hex editing. Ok so the I need to offset it $90 $90? See that's where I'm lost. Mostly it's just change this value or that value to something else. And CK patch temporarily hex edits these values, that's all I need to know.
grafix

Post by grafix »

IMPORTANT: UNZLEXE THE KEEN 1 .EXE!!!

If you want to learn how to hex-edit, I don't suggest you use .exe files to find out. The amount you need to subtract from $34fe to get the correct offset is the length. If you really want to, download CKPatch and create a .pat file with this in it:

Code: Select all

%ext ck1
%version 1.31

%dump keen1.dmp

%abort

%end
Then hex-edit the keen1.dmp file. Next, find a long string of bytes in the keen1.dmp file, then find that string in the keen1.exe file. The offset difference between the offsets of that string in both files is the difference you need to make to your patching offsets.

Confused? Well, so am I. I'll find the offset difference later and post it here.[/code]
Ringman

Post by Ringman »

Actually forget the whole hexing thing (it's not that important) I would like to know howver how to further modify this patch so that the the pogo uses gun charges when you press the control button (the gun charges act as fuel) If you have zero then the pogo doesn't fly anymore it just bounces like it would if you never hit the ctrl key. Thanks all! I will distribute something for you for everyone's efforts.

EDIT: And here it is: http://www.geocities.com/rlngman/jetboy.zip
Ezjay

Post by Ezjay »

Very neat. This is what i meant by playing as some other character that doesn't actualy feel exactly like keen.

Are you planning to release a mod with this?
Ringman

Post by Ringman »

Maybe if I can get the rest of the patch I'm requesting. The pics are public domain so anyone can have them for a mod if they like, but credit would be nice.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Woah, great looking character!
grafix

Post by grafix »

I'm sure you can get the shot counter to decrement when you activate the jetpack, but I don't think you can make it gradually go down as Keen flies. Cool that you've managed to get Keen to jetpack, though.
Ringman

Post by Ringman »

Thanks for the compliments on Jetboy! I didn't design him I just drew him. He was created by my 11 year old cousin Brian who's always wanted to make a video game. This was the character he created, I've been trying to hack keen to be like his character and suprize him with a full game about his character. I think he's gonna love it! Oh and anyone can use the sprites for their mods, I don't mind at all. It is a free gift to all.

Anyway what I meant was every time you pressed control or alt or whatever to make the jet pack thrust it would use a charge. I would like it to count down, but I also thought that would be rather difficult.
CommanderSpleen

Interesting...

Post by CommanderSpleen »

That's looking tasty.
Ringman wrote:Anyway what I meant was every time you pressed control or alt or whatever to make the jet pack thrust it would use a charge. I would like it to count down, but I also thought that would be rather difficult.
Actually, I'd say it'd be easier to have it count down than use a single charge each time.

I'm not sure how quickly the counter would decrement, but given that the ammo limit is 32767 there should be enough to keep him in the air for a fair while.

Hmm... you could really make this mod kinda Jetpackish if you use the backgrounds patch and have a non-disappearing ammo tile used as a charging point, and perhaps use some sort of 'pogo tile steals ammo' patch and create a similarly permanent fuel-stealing tile.

>Commander Spleen
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

I guess better would be that 'when Keen lands he loses all ammo'. :)