KeenWiki is online

Anything related to Keen Modding.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Hey, me again.

I'm looking over my collection of Keen patches and wondering, should they be one big section in the wiki (Patch:Keen), divided by episode (Patch:Keen 3) or divided by what they affect (Patch: Keen's shots, Patch:Keen jumping, etc)

There's a lot of patches now and I don't want them to be too confusing. I myself favor divideing them into sections, such as shooting jumping, pogoing, map and misc to simply cut down on the amount of patches on one page. (I notice there's a 32Kb limit on page size, which may be exceeded.)

So, what should I do?
Draik

Post by Draik »

Dividing by effect seems best, especially as these could be further divided into episode for ambiguous patches. (On first thought by episode seemed best, but considering that numerous patches/elements are consistent across episodes, effects seems best)
XkyRauh

Post by XkyRauh »

Having it sorted by effects doesn't help with the categorization, though. Patch:Keen3 is a nice overall thing, but how do you sort beyond that? There's a LOT of patches!
levellass

Post by levellass »

Do you mean effect or episode? I was going to go by effect, since as noted above, many patches are consistent across episodes, at least between Vorticons and Dreams\Galaxy.
Malvineous

Post by Malvineous »

What are you meaning by sections? Because if you start at Category:Patches you can then browse by episode or by effect, depending on what you're after.

Or did you mean something else?
levellass

Post by levellass »

Basically, how should I divide up patches relating to Keen, the player sprite, if at all? Putting all of them in one page would make the page too large, and even making a page for each episode would be hard to do.

Basiclly, how should Keen related patches be organized? We now have literally hundreds of them, and it'd be nice to have c 'Keen' patch category with many sub pages (So people looking for the machine gun patch would go to Patch:Keen:Shooting instead of having to browse through hundreds of patches.)
Malvineous

Post by Malvineous »

Well in that particular example, I would start at Category:Patches, then click on Gameplay Patches, then look at the Raygun page.

Maybe you can post some more examples of things that are difficult to categorise, and we'll see if we can come up with a good way of splitting them?
levellass

Post by levellass »

Keen 4-6: Sprite actions for Keen, approx 200x8 entries for each galaxy episode allowing things like disabling ledgegripping, making Keen's bored animations into tapdancing, changing animations and his walking speed and collisions

Keen 1-3: Keen's freezing\stunned time, changes to his animation, pogo height and collision.

The biggest problem is there are so many patches, especially for Galaxy where Keen has multiple pathes available for each sprite frame. There at least a page per episode (Patch:Keen(Keen 5)?) would be needed to avoid going over the limit.
Malvineous

Post by Malvineous »

Are the patch behaviours specific to an episode? Because if you've got a patch for (say) Keen 4, 5 and 6 where the code is different for each episode, but it does the same thing on all of them, I would put that on the same page - describe the behaviour and any issues at the top, then have three subheadings for the actual episode-specific patch code.

Then you could have a "Category:Keen Galaxy Patches", under that "Category:Keen Galaxy Gameplay Patches" then under that "Patch:Disable ledgegripping" and "Patch:Bored Keen animation change" with all three episodes' patch code on each page.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Sounds alright to me. I'll give it a try when I have some time to add them.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Hate to double post, but all the Keen 1 sprite patches are up (The basic ones anyway, from which most others can be derived.)

I'm thinking of making a sprite page for every episode too, for patches that affect multiple sprites or not a specific sprite in particular (Such as using the screenshot code to store a new sprite death.)

Also I've done Keen 1 and Keen 3 vorticons, but have found out they have their own special names, grunts (red and yellow) and guards\commanders (Really the same sprite.)

How should these be named? A page 'Vroticons' might be a good idea to link to all the kinds of Vorticon sprite (Like in the main Keen wiki) but what should the Keen 12 and 3 vorticons be called there? I've been going with 'Vorticon (Keen x)' as being self explanatory and how I always though of them.
Malvineous

Post by Malvineous »

I'd probably go with "Vorticon (Keen x)" otherwise you might be modding an episode and have to think really hard about what the Vorticon was called there.

You can always create a redirect page to point the other common names to whichever one you decide to use.
NY00123

Post by NY00123 »

Hi all,

The two Wikis are very useful resources of information when it comes to stuff like MODding and creating new programs (e.g. level editors). Good job to anybody involved!

Now, I'd just like to ask the following, which appears to be relevant to the current discussion about re-arrangement of Keen patches in the Keenwiki.
Basically, I'd like to hear where do you think it'd be more appropriate to have any Bio Menace patch, especially when it's very similar to existing Keen 4-6 patches. (Yes, there is one such BM1 patch found out: Music track re-arrangement. Wasn't that hard as info about the Keen 4 patch is already available.) It could go to the ModdingWiki as Bio Menace isn't a Keen game, while it could also be added along with the Keen versions of the patches in the KeenWiki.

What I'd probably do without any advise is posting the patch on the KeenWiki, and possibly add a link to it from the ModdingWiki.

Thanks!
NY
levellass

Post by levellass »

There's a number of pages on the Keenwiki that explain stuff about Biomenace, especially the sprite patches.
Malvineous

Post by Malvineous »

If it's possible to squeeze it in as a side note then the KeenWiki would be ok, but I'd much rather keep it limited to Commander Keen only. I think the ModdingWiki would be much better. Of course there you will need to include "Bio Menace" in any page titles to avoid confusion with any other games!