Keen 4 minimod questions

Anything related to Keen Modding.
Zero X. Diamond

Post by Zero X. Diamond »

You can't play mine? Odd. You must have not extracted everything or something, because Xky said he got it to run just fine.
XkyRauh

Post by XkyRauh »

ZXD's runs great in DOSBox with no setup required--just unzip to a folder and run. For both mine and the 1st place entry, it helps to unzip the entry into an existing Keen4 folder.
levellass

Post by levellass »

It still says I'm missing the script file Keen4.pat
CommanderSpleen

Some feedback

Post by CommanderSpleen »

Those are some most impressive entries.

Levellass You've succeeded in creating not only some excellent oldschool art, but also a genuinely Keenish atmosphere! Bravo. Beautiful title screen, too! I look forward to more of your work. Congratulations on your prize--look after it!

Xky A very interesting idea, and well executed for the most part. You've shown that we can do a lot more with the newer Keen engines than straight platformers. I was expecting to "just" see some very shiny graphics and a nice place to explore. It was at first disappointing to see you hadn't concentrated on the graphics much, but it was soon proven to be worth the sacrifice!

ZXD It looks like you're well on the way to establishing a beautifully atmospheric mod as well. The music and sound effects are so very tasty, and the graphics seem to be evolving well. Aillen's face contorts a bit when jumping (IIRK). Obviously this is still a WIP, so I imagine that's something you'll want to work on.

I find it fascinating that you've each covered very different aspects of modding in these three releases! I daresay your combined experience will go a long way to establishing more frequent and higher quality Keen 4-6 modding.

Sorry to all that I didn't get around to entering this contest.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Wow, certainly pretty cool looking stuff! :D I'll try them out soon.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

All very creative, but I was especially stunned when playing Xky's entry! It seems the 'new' engines allow a lot interesting possibilities. Great work, everyone! :) Hmmm, should someone post about this at PCKF?
levellass

Post by levellass »

I finally got Z-1's working. (Strangely when I tried to download the zip file it missed a few essential files quite often, I don't know why.)

I agree with KR, these are excellent and an inspiration to us all.
levellass

Post by levellass »

So can anyone tell me when and how my mod keeps crashing? These problems are important you know.
Kdash

Post by Kdash »

It only crashes for me when I get to that secret ship level. I don't know what exactly it is, but it only crashes there.
XkyRauh

Post by XkyRauh »

Your mod ran just fine for me, LLass. Can you give us some more info--how is it crashing, what're the symptoms, etc? (also, what level do we warp to for your secret level?)

I really need to learn how to make creative scenery, like you all. :) I really dig the atmospheres presented.
levellass

Post by levellass »

That's why I asked, I just don't know; Andy says that on easy or hard my mod crashes, and I can't find where, at least on my machine.

The secret level will appear if you play the first level and exit without getting Zoltan, you'll see a BwB on the map and can enter it. For a version of my mod with a working secret level try here: http://www.freewebs.com/levellord_keen/SK4.zip

(The original level had too few background tiles to work.)
CommanderSpleen

Post by CommanderSpleen »

Hah, that is a nifty secret! I would never have thought to try that.
adurdin
Site Founder

Post by adurdin »

levellass wrote:That's why I asked, I just don't know; Andy says that on easy or hard my mod crashes, and I can't find where, at least on my machine.
It crashed for me with a "Tried to place uncached sprite" error when the slug-replacement (I forget its name) laid an egg, or when the egg hatched -- I'm not sure which. But that was only in easy or hard modes.
Zero X. Diamond

Post by Zero X. Diamond »

So when is that poster supposed to be coming, Mr. Durdin? It's been months since the initial entry, and it's still yet to show up. At this point, I'm going to have to change the address for shipping, since I'm moving back to Chicago for college!
adurdin
Site Founder

Post by adurdin »

Sorry for the delay; I spent some time trying to find a large-enough-but-not-too-large cardboard tube to post it in (to save on postage), but failed, and eventually posted them in the original (greatly oversized) tubes they came to me in, just short of two weeks ago. You should see it very soon I hope.